How to get the Micro$oft out of your Windows XP computer in a couple easy steps!
Video Demo best seen in full screen.
(May also work on Vista)
First of all why do this? Well it is a known fact that without Internet Explorer, Outlook, and some other Micro$oft components your PC should be Virus free. Also Microsoft is monitoring what you are doing and indexing your files on your PC. After you do this they won’t be able to do that any more. You should be aware though that you agreed to let Microsoft do this when you installed any of their newer software packages like Office 2007 or One Care.
Important: before you do this click start, and Right Click on My Computer and hit properties. Make sure automatic updates are turned off.
- Go to www.firefox.com, download and install it.
- Go to www.mozilla.com, download and install Mozilla Thunderbird.
- Go to www.download.com, download VLC player and Media Monkey Player, Install them as well.
- Reboot and go into Safe mode by pressing F8 several times durring boot up.
- Click Start, Control Panel, Add Remove Programs, Add Remove Windows Components.
- Remove Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, and Windows Media Player.
- They are not gone yet.
- After removing them get out of all of that and click Start, My Comptuer, C:, Program Files, Internet Explorer.
- At this time click Tools, Folder Options, and View. Now go threw the list and check all items that start with Display, Uncheck all items that start with Hide and click Show hidden files and folders. Click Apply and then OK.
- You will now see more files than before. Without closing this window for Internet Explorer click Start, My Computer, C:, Program Files, Mozilla Firefox, click Edit, Select All, Edit, Copy. Now click back on your Internet Explorer Window and hit Edit, Paste. Go back to the Mozilla Firefox folder. Copy firefox.exe to the desktop (do not create a shortcut), right click on it and rename it to IEXPLORER.EXE. Copy it into the Internet Explorer folder over top of the existing IEXPLORER.EXE file. You have just gotten rid of Internet Explorer for good.
- Do the same for Outlook by replacing it with Mozilla Thunderbird, Replace Windows Media Player with VLC or Media Monkey. Whichever you like. Reboot and it will all work just fine. DO NOT DO ANY WINDOWS UPDATES THREW www.windowsupdate.com.
- Use Windiz updates to update in firefox. Go to http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/ and then copy a shortcut to the site to the desktop. Rename another .exe file such as firefox.exe to wupdmgr.exe and copy it over wupdmgr.exe in C:, Windows, System32. You may also wish to replace wuauclt1.exe and wuauclt.exe as well. This may cause firefox to pop up unexpectantly but it will block Windows Update.
- Now download and install Avast, Spybot, and Clamwin. After you configure them to autoprotect and update you are done. You should not get any more viruses.
- DO NOT! Install Microsoft Office 2007, One Care, Windows Media Player 11 or any other Micro$oft software from Micro$oft.
To Disable those annoying balloons at the bottom of the screen that want you to turn on automatic updates.
- Open the Control Panel
- Double-click on the Security Center icon
- Click on the option “Change the way Security Center alerts me”
- Uncheck the alert settings boxes you wish and click Ok